a27 February 2014

Warm sunset

50.000 views on SmugMug

It took me just one month to reach very first milestone on my SmugMug account. As for today my photos on SmugMug has been viewed 50.000 times. Although it's not that much (some of my photos on Google+ has more views on a single day...). it gives more than 1500 views per day on average which isn't bad result at all. Also just a small subset of my photos are available there - out of a few hundred images posted to this blog, just about 80 - 90 are available on SmugMug at the moment. So I expect that the figures will increase pretty quickly as I upload more images there.

Daily photo - Warm sunset

Today photo was quite difficult to get the way I wanted it to look - I tried various things but couldn't get it right for some time. For this reason, I eventually combined two techniques: exposure fusion and manual blending. First I opened 9 bracketed photos in Photomatix Pro and fused them using Fusion/Real-Estate method to get the shadows and highlights right. Then I manually blended result from Photomatix with 9 other bracketed photos - mainly to achieve smooth water effect and to fix the sky which looked a bit artificial.

If you want to learn how to create such images yourself, make sure to read my free HDR tutorial. If you prefer to download it or print, I suggest you take a look at the PDF version.
Warm sunset


Finally some EXIF information:
Technical details:
Camera: Sony NEX-6
Lens: Sony 10-18 f/4
Focal length: 11 mm
Aperture: f/8.0
Exposure time: 1/4 s ("middle" exposure)
ISO: 100
Number of exposures: 18
E.V. Step: 1.0
Flash used: no
Tripod: yes
Filters: Cokin ND X neutral density filter
Technique: long-exposure, exposure fusion, manual blending, luminosity masks
Software: Photomatix Pro 5 (Fusion/Real-Estate), Lightroom 5.0, Photoshop CC, Topaz Clarity, Topaz Adjust

Where was this photo taken:

Post a Comment