a13 March 2014

A word about sharks

A bit about diving and sharks

In the past I was scuba diving quite a lot. However, diving to watch coral reefs didn't sound very fascinating and exciting for me (don't get me wrong - it's beautiful but you can get bored after a while). I wanted to go deeper and deeper pushed by curiosity. I wanted to explore the world that is beyond limit of masses as you need special training to descend ther. I wanted to visit ship wrecks (believe me or not but the feeling when submarine emerges from almost complete darkness of Baltic See is hard to describe) and deep canyons.

Unfortunately I lost fun in all it (although I hope to go back underwater one day) - the diving gear equipment became way too heavy - I wasn't diving with just one tank like "regular" divers do but with 3 or 4 tanks. Also the procedure became much more complex. However, it would be cool to capture underwater HDRs ;) so maybe one day I'll try that.

One of the great things about diving is that you can meet amazing animals in their natural environment: lion fishes, dolphins, stingrays, morays, turtles and sharks. Those same sharks that are unfortunately so well known for their brute force and cruelty "thanks to" Jaws movie. It's amazing how movies affect our perspective. Killer whale or simply... orca is much more dangerous and one of just a few animals that can kill simply for fun (just like humans... as most other animals kill to survive). Yet thanks to the Free Willy movie series most of us think of it as beautiful and poor animal that is much closer to dolphins (which aren't that ideal either!). What's more even rhinos, elephants and hippos kill more people each year than sharks do.

Unfortunately I saw shark only once in its natural habitat. Although it passed about 15 meters from me and I saw it for just a few seconds, I still remember the feeling of excitement related to this event. Fantastic feeling.

Daily photo - Shark

Something a little different from me today :)

Although this photo was taken in the oceanarium in Xcaret park in Mexico through large glass, I wanted to give the impression that the shark is swimming just above viewer's head. To get this feeling, just click on the image below to see it in larger size.
Shark


Finally some EXIF info:

Technical details:
Camera: Sony NEX-6 (read my review here)
Lens: Sony E 10-18 f/4
Focal length: 13 mm
Aperture: f/5.0
Exposure time: 1/100 s
ISO: 100
Number of exposures: 1
E.V. Step: n/a
Flash used: no
Tripod: no
Filters: no
Technique: luminosity masks
Software: Lightroom 5.3, Photoshop CC, Topaz Clarity

Post a Comment