a20 March 2014

Do I go in the right direction?

Do I go in the right direction?

Do I go in the right direction? It's the question I recently often ask myself about my own photography. I make changes to my workflow all the time (introducing new tools and techniques), I try various techniques I learn and also try to experiment with my own ideas. The problem is that it's difficult to tell whether these changes are for good or bad. I simply don't know :) Sometimes I wonder whether my older photos weren't better, maybe not technically because they contained some issues like noise or colour fringing, but in terms of colours and detail. Do you have similar doubts? How do you deal with them?

Daily photo - Jetty at Sunset

Today photo is High Dynamic Range image taken at sunset in Mexico. I took 5 exposures at 1 EV spacing, merged to HDR and tone-mapped in Photomatix Pro 5 using Contrast Optimizer tool and then finished the image using luminosity masking technique in Photoshop. This is the case where I'm definitely happy with the colours ;)
HDR photo of jetty at sunset


Finally some EXIF info:
Technical details:
Camera: Sony NEX-6 (read my review here)
Lens: Sony E 10-18 f/4
Focal length: 11 mm
Aperture: f/9.0
Exposure time: 2 s ("middle" exposure)
ISO: 100
Number of exposures: 5
E.V. Step: 1.0
Flash used: no
Tripod: yes
Filters: Cokin ND X variable density filter
Technique: HDR, tone-mapping, luminosity masks
Software: Photomatix Pro 5 (Contrast Optimizer), Lightroom 5.3, Photoshop CC, Topaz Clarity

Where was this photo taken:

Post a Comment