a4 June 2014

Back from London

Back from London

I've just returned from London (that's why I hadn't been updating my blog lately). Although I was there before (almost 9 years ago!) it was my first visit there since I started this blog. So today and in the following days I would like to share my thoughts about this city. As well as some pictures of course.

I could simply write that London is amazing because it truly is - especially from photographer's point of view. However, the city has so much to offer and also there are so many interesting (and sometimes even weird) things about it that I will share much more information. It is a perfect location for both architecture, landscape and bird photography. I saw photographers hunting both for blue hour near the famous Tower Bridge and for birds in the Regent's Park. In fact it's quite funny because each time I was taking blue hour shots there were around 10 other photographers shooting from exactly same location. It means that on a single day quite a few similar looking images are captured. So it's really hard to capture something really unique while in London.

Also despite the fact I spent 6 days there I didn't manage to capture all photos I intended. Partly due to the weather as unfortunately during my stay it wasn't very good - it was cloudy most of the time and it rained sometimes so I decided to focus on architecture and indoors this time. Not something that I feel most comfortable with but I hope that I captured some really nice images. Also even during sunsets light was very flat so many of my outside pictures are simply boring. I will probably need to revisit this city in the future.

BTW if you're going to London yourself, make sure to read this excellent guide by my friend +Jim Nix : Top Photo Spots in London . It covers a lot of cool places and gives some tips how to shoot them to make most of them. Also some of the places aren't covered in official travel guides.

Daily photo - Red telephone boxes

When in London you just have to take photos of some of its symbols. There are so many of them: Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Tower Bridge, London Eye, double-decker red buses and of course red phone kiosks.

Today I would like to share photo of the last of them - red telephone boxes. Their colour is result of 1926 competition. It's interesting to know that winning project was in fact silver (with a greeny-blue interior) but competition committe considered this a potential hazard for traffic and decided to make them more noticeable to the drivers so they changed colour to red. Current design (known as K6) was created in 1936 and since then became one of the London icons.
Red telephone boxes in London


Finally some EXIF info for the above image:

Technical details:
Camera: Canon 5D MK III (read my review here)
Lens: Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS USM
Focal length: 32 mm
Aperture: f/9.0
Exposure time: 1/100 s
ISO: 100
Number of exposures: 1
E.V. Step: n/a
Flash used: no
Tripod: no
Filters: no
Technique: selective colour
Software: Magic Lantern, Lightroom 5.4, Photoshop CC, Topaz Clarity

Post a Comment