a27 November 2013

Starry sky

Milky Way over Corralejo beach
Click on the photo to view it in large size on black background.


It's getting colder outside - probably soon we will have first snow fall of this year. The sky is overcast most of the time, there is no sunshine at all and it's foggy quite often so I don't take much photos recently. Thanks to that I have time to process some older images and work on my post-processing skills a little bit.

So today I would like to share a photo I took last year on Fuerteventura island during the night and processed very recently. The key to get such amazing look of the sky, apart from clear air and very fast lens (I shot this at f/1.4!), was to use Topaz Clarity filter. This filter is absolutely fantastic when increasing clarity is concerned. I no longer use Lightroom Clarity slider because compared to Topaz it's very poor (and I loved it until I discovered Topaz Clarity!).

To learn how to capture photos of starry skies like the one above, read my tutorial.

Technical details:
Camera: Canon 5D MK II
Lens: Canon 24 f/1.4 L IS USM II (read my review here)
Focal length: 24 mm
Aperture: f/1.4
Exposure time: 10 s ("middle" exposure)
ISO: 800
Number of exposures: 1
E.V. Step: n/a
Flash used: no
Tripod: no
Filters: no
Technique: n/a
Software: Magic Lantern 2.3, Lightroom 5.0, Photoshop CC, Topaz Clarity

Where was this photo taken:

Post a Comment