a20 December 2013

The Family

Family
Click on the photo to view it in large size on black background.
I shared one photo from this shoot some time ago (you can see it here) but as I really love this scene and the reflection I decided to share yet another one.

There are two interesting things from technical point of view about this photo. First of all, I used very high ISO of 3200. As you can see final image does contain just a little bit of noise and as I previously wrote using high ISO values isn't something that you should be anxious about when using modern digital camera. High ISO is there to be used. It's not just a marketing slogan. On my current camera I used even higher ISO values like 12800 (and even 25600!) and still got results that I was happy with.

The second thing is that I used exposure of 1/100 s despite using focal length of 300 mm. It's due to image stabilization built-in the lens I used (without it I would need to use exposure of 1/300 s). Nowadays IS systems are really powerful. In case of this lens I was able to shoot in the dark and still get sharp enough images.

Technical details:
Camera: Canon 5D MK II
Lens: Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS USM (read my review here)
Focal length: 300 mm
Aperture: f/9.0
Exposure time: 1/100 s
ISO: 3200
Number of exposures: 1
E.V. Step: n/a
Flash used: no
Tripod: no
Filters: circular polarizing filter
Technique: n/a
Software: Magic Lantern 2.3, Lightroom 5.0, Photoshop CC

Post a Comment