a23 January 2014

500px vs the rest - small update

500px just got better

New profile page on 500px
In the last few months I did a few comparisons of popular web sites from photographer's and photography blogger perspective. The comparison included such websites as 500px, Flickr, Google+ and Facebook. Pinterest was also mentioned.

You can read first part of the comparison here and the second one: here.

I mentioned in these posts that I really liked 500px, especially for image quality. And it's still true because photos you can find there are truly amazing. What I didn't like at the time of writing was that it was very difficult to get more than just a few hundred of views and recently it even got worse with 100 - 200 views per photo on average. In fact this made me decide to temporarily stop uploading photos there.

However, I have to do 500px justice. Apparently they listened to feedback community gave them and changed their algorithms once again recently. I'm still testing it but so far it looks very promising. For the last few photos I uploaded there I already received 1500+ views what's very good.

But the list of changes is longer than updating internal algorithms. They greatly improved profile page design (it now looks ultra-modern and is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen), you can see example in the image on the right, and improved Store functionality - although I still find it quite simple.

Unfortunately you still cannot comment directly from the Flow page what results in a small and somewhat funny looking issue - your photos might have a few thousand of views and a few hundreds of likes/faves but just a few comments. +500px please do allow commenting directly from the Flow page.

BTW you can visit my 500px account here.

Daily photo - Foggy Day

Once you start taking HDR photos it might quickly become an obsession. I remember that after I got started with high dynamic range photography, I was capturing bracketed exposures even if situation didn't require this because dynamic range of the scene was very low. And there are scenes like that. Really. One of them are foggy conditions as in the image below:
Watchtower in the fog


In such circumstances a single exposure was enough to capture whole dynamic range and to show the mood of the scene.

In case of this photo I used S-Curve composition to make this shot a bit more interesting (as I needed to make it more interesting as the conditions were quite boring). If you don't know what am I talking about - look at the shape of the road. It looks like an S-letter, doesn't it? Hence the name - S-Curve. S-curve is one of the most appealing shapes, that greatly attracts our attention. So if you can find one in the scene you're shooting - make sure to make full use of it.

Finally some EXIF info:

Technical details:
Camera: Canon 5D MK II
Lens: Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS USM
Focal length: 70 mm
Aperture: f/8.0
Exposure time: 1/640 s ("middle" exposure)
ISO: 400
Number of exposures: 1
E.V. Step: n/a
Flash used: no
Tripod: yes
Filters: no
Technique: n/a
Software: Magic Lantern 2.3, Lightroom 5.0, Photoshop CC

Where was this photo taken:

Post a Comment