a10 March 2014

Evening in the Garden

"Middle" exposure in my photos

Recently in a comment to one of my posts I got a question what "middle" exposure in Technical details section under each photo referred to. So here is short explanation for anyone interested.

As you probably know, most of the time I'm making HDR images (you can read more about this type of photography here), what means that I need to take several photos and then merge or blend them in Photomatix Pro or Photoshop. Number of these photos usually ranges 3 to 7.

Each of these photos has different exposure, eg. for today photo I captured 5 photos with exposures of 1s, 2s, 4s, 8s and 15s. The "middle" exposure is exposure of median photo, in this case it's 4 seconds.

You can also think of this "middle" exposure as the exposure I would use if I wasn't taking a HDR photo.

Daily photo - Evening in the Garden

Today photo is a high dynamic range image I captured in the gardens of Barcelo Maya Resort hotel in Mexico. It was gorgeous blue hour with a really blue sky (thanks to no clouds) what contrasted very nicely with warm yellow light of garden lamps.

I composed this shot in such a way that the path leads the eye through the image. Also the path has shape of S-curve (although not that obvious at first glance). As I mentioned in the past, composition using S-curves looks very appealing to the eye, so if you can find S-shaped object in your frame, make sure to use it. Your images will look much more attractive to your viewers.
Evening in the Garden of Barcelo Maya Resort hotel


Finally some EXIF info:

Technical details:
Camera: Sony NEX-6 (read my review here)
Lens: Sony E 10-18 f/4
Focal length: 10 mm
Aperture: f/5.0
Exposure time: 4 s ("middle" exposure)
ISO: 200
Number of exposures: 5
E.V. Step: 1.0
Flash used: no
Tripod: yes
Filters: no
Technique: HDR, tone-mapping, luminosity masks
Software: Photomatix Pro 5 (Contrast Optimizer), Lightroom 5.3, Photoshop CC, Topaz Clarity

Where was this photo taken:

Post a Comment