a24 April 2014

The Maya Dancer

Daily photo - The Maya Dancer

I already shared some images from that ancient Maya show before, for instance here. It was the first time I photographed any show in fact. Any. It's just not my kind of photography you know (I'm dedicated to landscapes... even cityscapes are not what I really like). But I quite liked it although it was very difficult for me - the scene was very dynamic and rather crowded most of the time. It was also full of various colours, shapes and symbols that were quickly changing and transforming. There wasn't much time for thinking so I needed to trust my intuition. And I think my intuition was good as I captured some really nice and quite powerful images that I'm really happy with :)

Today I would like to share image of one of the dancers performing in that show. He was wearing bird mask and wings and looked really monumental especially in that magical colourful light.

I used Sony 55-210 tele zoom lens and was quite positively surprised by image quality. Of course the image isn't as sharp from my beloved Canon 70-300 L, but still is very good.

Another interesting thing is that this image was shot at very high ISO (3200) and still the image is completely usable with very low levels of noise. Of course I needed to apply some denoising but it's still pretty surprising how good sensor in this small Sony NEX-6 performs in low-light conditions.

Maya Dancer

Finally some EXIF info:

Technical details:
Camera: Sony NEX-6 (read my review here)
Lens: Sony E 55-210 f/4.5-6.3
Focal length: 123 mm
Aperture: f/5.6
Exposure time: 1/60 s
ISO: 3200
Number of exposures: 1
E.V. Step: n/a
Flash used: no
Tripod: no
Filters: no
Technique: n/a
Software: Lightroom 5.3, Photoshop CC, Topaz Clarity

Where was this photo taken:

Post a Comment