a31 December 2014

2014 in Review - Not the best year

Best photos of 2014
So it's the last day of 2014. It means that I should write some summary I guess :)

Frankly speaking, 2014 wasn't the best year for me as far as photography is concerned. I simply travelled less than in the past few years and without travels it's rather difficult to get a lot of good travel photos. Yes, I've been to Mexico, which was my long-lasting dream and it was a truly amazing experience and I still have tons of unedited images from there. Yes, I visited London in United Kingdom where I also managed to capture some nice images despite really British weather during my stay but that's pretty much all. Apart from additional photos taken in my home town, that is Warsaw, I didn't take more images. I was simply too busy to take and post-process images this year. I even found it difficult to share new posts here on my blog regularly despite very interesting plans I had for this year.

But biggest disappointment this year was that my blog started to fall... sort of. My Alexa rank dropped from 900k to around 4 million and although this alone wouldn't be a big deal, numbers of visitors also dropped significantly to around numbers from year 2012. Why? I'm not sure. I disappeared from Google searches and it was a pretty big hit but it wasn't the only problem I guess. But I have several ideas on how to change this in upcoming year.

Good thing is that future looks bright. I have a few travel ideas for 2015 already, I also have a bit more spare time recently so I should be back to taking photos more frequently very very soon (in fact I started to drag camera with me much more often) and to post-process some older ones. I also have a lot of ideas for interesting blog posts and tutorials. So I hope my blog will start to be popular once again.

It would be unfair to say that this year was completely bad and wasted though as there are plenty of positives about this year in photography. My photos have been published several times, I even got Editor's Choice award in Camerapixo (you can read more about it here). Also I experimented with various photography techniques and styles, I adjusted my post-processing style (and I think I finally like it), I took a few beautiful photos - some of which you can see in the image above. Finally I reached several milestones, like 500k views on 500px, having my HDR tutorial displayed 50k times or HDR tutorial eBook downloaded 10.000 times.

So it wasn't the best year, but it wasn't worst either :)

Post a Comment