a5 January 2015

Sun flare in Crete

Daily photo - Sun flare in Crete

HDR photo of sunset in Crete

Today I would like to share simple landscape photo taken at sunset on the island of Crete back in 2013. This image might be very simple but it utilizes several techniques and tricks so it's good idea to study it for a second.

First of all I wanted to achieve star-like effect for the sun so I closed aperture to f/14.0 (note that this effect gets stronger when you slow down the aperture). Please also note where I put the sun - it's exactly in one of the intersections of golden ratio grid (you can read more about it in my guide to photo composition).

Shooting directly into the sun resulted in numerous lens flares and similar artifacts being visible in the image despite using lens hood. Those artifacts looked really ugly so I got rid of them using technique I described here. Basically I took the image twice - once normally and once with sun being blocked with my hand. Then I blended two images i Photoshop and lens flares disappeared.

Finally - this image isn't HDR image. Instead I used Exposure Fusion available in Photomatix Pro. Exposure Fusion is something like automatic version of Manual Blending. It doesn't create 32-bit HDR image - it blends source images instead. If you would like to learn more about Exposure Fusion, read chapter about it in my HDR tutorial.

Camera Info

Finally some EXIF info:
Technical details:
Camera: Canon 5D MK III (read my review here)
Lens: Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS USM
Focal length: 24 mm
Aperture: f/14.0
Exposure time: 1/40 s ("middle" exposure)
ISO: 100
Number of exposures: 7
E.V. Step: 1.0 EV
Flash used: no
Tripod: yes
Filters: no
Technique: exposure fusion, luminosity masks
Software: Magic Lantern 2.3, Photomatix Pro 5 (Fusion/Natural), Lightroom 5.4, Photoshop CC, Topaz Clarity, Topaz Detail

Where was this photo taken:

Post a Comment