a23 March 2015

My Thailand Trip

Recap of my Thailand trip

As I mentioned yesterday, this time I would like to approach my trip a little bit differently. I intend to post not only photos but also some useful tips if you would like to go where I did (if you would be interested in me organizing photography workshops there, I'm open for suggestions though as I intend to start teaching later this year anyway). So it would be something like a guide for the places I visited.

Today I would like to recap my trip. Our, I should say as I was travelling with a person who got me interested in travelling years ago - my fiancee.

Let's start with a map of places we visited:
I started my trip from Warsaw, Poland from where I went with Aeroflot airlines to Moscow and from there also with Aeroflot to Bangkok (Aeroflot had best offer for that date). Here I would like to tell one thing about Aeroflot - if you find any negative reviews about that airline make sure to check review's date. This airline is constantly improving in recent years and my experience is that it is as good or even better than many popular airlines from western Europe. From kind staff to very good meals to choice of entertainment you have in Economy class (e.g. a lot of movies including some newer ones). Similar thing applies to Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport. It isn't dirty and lacking shops and restaurants as you might read in the Internet reviews. It is airport that meets modern standards and have all necessary facilities (I ended up eating in Burger King but anyway...).

Anyway, after getting to Bangkok I changed to Bangkok Airways and flew to Krabi International Airport. From there I took taxi to the city of Ao Nang and there I got on a long tail boat to Railay West beach on Railay Peninsula (this peninsula is only accessible by boat - very high cliffs separate it from the rest of the continent). After 10 - 15 minutes I arrived on Railay Peninsula. Unfortunately it was low tide so I had to drag our bags through the sea (it was around 150 - 200 meters at most but my bags were quite heavy due to including some photography equipment like steady, and heavy as hell, tripod). There are some rocks near the shore and I almost fell down a couple of times but somehow managed not to. Mission accomplished - reached Railay Peninsula after something around 24 hours of travelling.

I spent 8 nights on Railay Peninsula and during that time I photographed a few amazing sunsets there and also made a few trips to local islands (like renowned Phi Phi island, paradise Bamboo island or impressive La Ding island). I will share details and photos about them in separate posts. Railay beach was once selected as one of the 3 most beautiful beaches of the world. As impressive as it is, it is quite funny that there is even more impressive beach nearby (just about 10 - 15 minutes by walking) called Phra Nang beach. It's probably the most impressive beach I've ever seen and let me tell you - it looks much better than on images you can find on-line.

After 8 days on Railay I moved to Koh Lipe island which is even further south, near Malaysian border. To get there I first had to travel to the city of Trang by bus and from there by Tiger Line ferry. All in all whole journey took around 7.5 - 8 hours even though it was supposed to take much shorter. Koh Lipe is a very relaxing place with not so many tourists and very nice views. Sunsets were rather boring there as there were virtually no clouds during our stay there but I managed to capture some starry skies there and some very beautiful sunrise photos.

After 4 days I went back to Ao Nang and on the next day to Bangkok from where I flew back to Europe.

Summing up - 14 days and close to 5000 landscape photos taken :) quite a lot of post-processing work ahead! But it might be very easy this time as even unedited images look really spectacular.

Daily photo - Sunrise on Koh Lipe

For today photo I decided to select single exposure image taken during sunrise on Sunrise Beach, Koh Lipe island. This image shows traditional long tail boats that are nowadays mostly used to move tourists from one place to another.
Sunrise on Sunrise Beach on Koh Lipe island
And finally EXIF info for this image:
Technical details:
Camera: Canon 5D MK III (read my review)
Lens: Canon 16-35 f/4 L IS USM
Focal length: 24 mm
Aperture: f/8.0
Exposure time: 1/3 s
ISO: 100
Number of exposures: 1
E.V. Step: n/a
Flash used: no
Tripod: yes
Filters: no
Technique: luminosity masking
Software: Magic Lantern, Lightroom 5.7

Where was this photo taken:

Post a Comment