a24 March 2015

What I like and dislike about Thailand

What I like and dislike about Thailand

I really enjoyed my stay in Thailand and today I would like to share with you things I loved and which I didn't like about this country (as there is no rose without thorns).

Let's start with the list of things I liked most about Thailand:
  • Amazing sunsets - really. One of the most impressive ones I've ever seen with colours in the sky ranging from golden to red to purple. Sunrises left me a little disappointed though as I found them rather boring but it's quite possible I simply wasn't lucky enough with them. Maybe more luck next time
  • Beautiful landscapes - do you remember Avatar movie? And all those amazing rocky formations standing out from the sea? I mean that kind of landscapes. Krabi district in southern Thailand is just full of them.
  • Fantastic cuisine. When I was going to Thailand my expectations weren't very high in this regard. I like a lot of Asian cuisine (especially Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese and Indian) but Thai wasn't my favourite. But it changed. Due to the fact Thailand was raided by surrounding countries in the past its cuisine reflects that - is full of influences from countries like India but yet it still has something very own to it.
  • Good transportation possibilities to move from one part to another - it's very easy to find transport (by boat, plane, bus or train) from one end of the country to the other. And once you buy a ticket you don't need to worry much anymore as you will be picked up and directed since then.
  • It's cheap - you can find both hotels and meals at very reasonable prices. Also prices in the shops are generally lower than in Europe.
And things I disliked:
  • Poor English. Most of the folks in the places I visited spoke no or very poor English. Even in the hotels and restaurants what made it quite difficult to communicate. Please note, however, that I didn't spend time in the places most popular among tourists (like Phuket or Bangkok) so I can't say whether it's true for whole country.
  • A lot of rubbish and dirt lying around. Beaches and popular places are generally quite clean but try to get a little bit of a beaten track and you will find a lot of rubbish. Also I didn't notice a lot of trash bins even in the cities I visited so most of the rubbish ended up being thrown on the grass for instance (also, or even mostly, by tourists!)
  • If someone says it will take a minute to do something it will take much more - eg. our ferry travel was supposed to take 1:30 hours. It took around 3:30. It makes planning a little bit more difficult.
  • Some places are overcrowded with tourists - in some famous places it's even not possible to get decent photo without dozens of tourists in the frame. Those crowds are also quite tiring.

Daily photo - Admiring the Sunset

Today I would like to share HDR photo of a hotel boy enjoying the sunset while seating on a trolley he uses to transport luggage. Photo was taken during low tide in Railay West beach, Krabi district, Thailand. Low tide created a lot of puddles that reflected the sunset and made the image much more interesting.
Admiring the Sunset
And finally EXIF info for this image:
Technical details:
Camera: Canon 5D MK III (read my review)
Lens: Canon 16-35 f/4 L IS USM
Focal length: 20 mm
Aperture: f/11.0
Exposure time: 1/6 s ("middle" exposure)
ISO: 100
Number of exposures: 5
E.V. Step: 1.0 EV
Flash used: no
Tripod: yes
Filters: no
Technique: HDR, tone-mapping, luminosity masking
Software: Magic Lantern, Photomatix Pro 5 (Contrast Optimizer), Lightroom 5.7, Topaz Clarity, Topaz Detail

Post a Comment