a2 October 2012

Stormy sky at sunrise

Today a photo I took during sunrise. These clouds might look a bit unreal but they looked that way as there was severe storm over the islands you can see in the background (the nearer is known as Lobos, the further as - Lanzarote; I will have more photos of them later). Unfortunately I didn't manage to capture the lightning bolts (they would make this photo so much better... maybe even exceptional?) but I still quite like the result.

I used two filters on my lens in this case. The first one was neutral density filter to make the exposure a bit longer and make the water and clouds smoother. The second one I used was gradual density filter to balance the exposure a little bit. It was still rather dark but the clouds were much brighter so in order to have any details in the foreground this was necessary. I could also use HDR of course but I liked the strong dramatic contrast captured in a single exposure.

BTW as there was such a request this photo can be downloaded for free from the wallpapers section (which I didn't update for quite a long time).

EXIF data:
Camera: Canon 5D MK II
Lens: Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS USM
Focal length: 40 mm
Aperture: f/18
Exposure time: 5 s
ISO: 100
Number of exposures: 1
E.V. Step: n/a
Flash used: no
Tripod: yes
Filters: Hoya ND8 neutral density filter, gradual density filter
Software: Lightroom 4.1, Photoshop CS5

Post a Comment