a9 March 2014

Beach at Night

Astrophotography - where Sony NEX-6 is not enough

As you could read in my review just a few days ago, Sony NEX-6 camera is a really great mirrorless camera that can be used in many cases instead of much heavier DSLR. Where it didn't work for me, however, is astrophotography. Or I should rather say landscape photography featuring night sky as astrophotography is something much more complex that usually involves photographing distant galaxies and stars.

The noise produced by NEX-6 sensor, which is rather low, is still too high in most cases - at least for me. Also I don't own any good and fast prime wide angle lens for NEX system at the moment, and quite frankly I don't intend to buy one (as my primary system is still Canon). And even if I did, I'm not sure if that lens could beat my excellent Canon f/1.4 L II. Which I really love for images it produces.

And as you can see here I really like this kind of photos. Stars make the images look surreal or out of this world.

Daily photo - Beach at Night

Despite what I said in the paragraphs above I still made some attempts in capturing night sky while I was in Mexico. I had to, as the sky there was absolutely gorgeous with thousands of stars (I don't remember seeing such clear sky in a long while). I was about 100km from Cancun where number of hotels was much lower so there wasn't that much of light pollution.

And today photo shows one of these attempts. It is a bit similar in concept to one of my other photos, Have a rest under the sky which I took in 2012 on Fuerteventura island. I just regret that I wasn't able to capture more stars in below image. Maybe next time.

BTW if you would like to learn more about star photography, make sure to read my free tutorial.
Beach at night


Finally some EXIF info:

Technical details:
Camera: Sony NEX-6 (read my review here)
Lens: Sony E 10-18 f/4
Focal length: 10 mm
Aperture: f/4.0
Exposure time: 30 s ("middle" exposure)
ISO: 1600
Number of exposures: 7
E.V. Step: n/a
Flash used: no
Tripod: yes
Filters: no
Technique: long-exposure, panorama, luminosity masks
Software: PTGui, Lightroom 5.3, Photoshop CC, Topaz Clarity

Where was this photo taken:

Post a Comment