a6 March 2014

In the Cenote

Updated review of Canon 70 - 300 L lens

Today I decided to update my review of Canon 70-300 L f/4-5.6 IS USM tele-zoom lens. You can read the updated review here.

The reason for this update is that initial review, which was written at the beginning of 2012, missed some important bits of information. It's because by that time I owned this lens for just a few weeks, so I didn't know everything about it (and my knowledge about photography was much smaller than now). It was a mistake - I know - and nowadays I try to review gear and software at least after a few months of using it.

BTW I think that current version would be more helpful for anyone considering buying this lens.

In the nearest future I plan to update a few more reviews on my blog for the same reasons, especially review of Canon 5D MK III camera. I also consider updating a few tutorials so they will be more up to date.

Daily photo - In the Cenote

Today photo is actually a crop from this panorama that I took in one of the cenotes in Mexico and I shared just a few days ago. It's not a simple crop though - apart from using cropping tool in Photoshop I applied completely different processing. Panorama I mentioned was processed using realistic processing, this time I decided to go with my painterly processing to make this place a little bit more magical.

To learn more about this technique, make sure to watch my video tutorial about it.
One of many cenotes in Mexico

Finally some EXIF information:
Technical details:
Camera: Sony NEX-6
Lens: Sony 10-18 f/4
Focal length: 10 mm
Aperture: f/5.6
Exposure time: 5 s ("middle" exposure)
ISO: 200
Number of exposures: 55
E.V. Step: 1.0
Flash used: no
Tripod: yes
Filters: no
Technique: long-exposure, manual blending, luminosity masks, painterly
Software: PTGui, Lightroom 5.0, Photoshop CC, Topaz Clarity, Topaz Adjust, Topaz Simplify

Post a Comment